Friday, November 30, 2012

To My SPF Lovers!

Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is exposed!

We all know the basics.  Wearing SPF lotion is important for blocking UVB (what makes us burn) and UVA (what makes us age) rays.  But how much of it should we be wearing?

Most people that wear SPF 70 or higher look at me like I'm completely wacko when I slather on my SPF 15 at the pool or the beach.  However, the sun protection factor 15 will allow me (who would typically burn after 10 minutes in the sun) to be in the sun 15 times longer before burning (hence, SPF 15).  This means that I can stay in the sun for around 2 hours with SPF 15 without worrying about getting a sunburn.  If I plan on being in the sun for 4 hours, I would wear SPF 30.

In my opinion, if you sweat or get in and out of a pool with sun protection on, it is best to reapply no matter what your lotion's SPF is.

Guys and gals: be sure to apply a good, face moisturizer on a daily basis with a high SPF so that it lasts all day.  Make sure that it has both UVB and UVA protection!  You'll save a lot of money on "procedures" later.

Got a comment?  Bring it!

No comments: